The Patterson Film

Friday, December 09, 2005

No, really, I'm American

There's a discussion I've had from time to time. It goes something like:

Interlocutor: "What nationality are you?"

Sasquatch: "I'm American."

Interlocutor: "Well, I'm Mexican, which means I'm American, too. You should call yourself 'a United States citizen.'"

Sasquatch: "Well, I'm from the United States of America, so I'm American. The official name of Mexico is Los Estados Unidos de México, but you don't seem to have a problem with calling yourselves Mexican. So why shouldn't I be allowed to call myself American for my nationality. What gives?"

The conversation then devolves into an "am too/are not" and ultimately goes nowhere. In Spanish, the descriptor for someone from the United States is estadounidense, essentially "unitedstatesian." If someone is from the United States of Mexico, then why isn't he/she estadounidense as well?

If you're native Spanish speaker who can shed some light on this seeming inconsistency in the application of estadounidense, I'd love to learn more about it. If you don't speak Spanish and have a theory that might hold some water, I'd love to hear that, too.

4 Comments:

  • I live with native speakers (parents) and I speak Spanish fluently and I have NEVER heard someone referred to as estadounidense. Ever.

    That's like calling someone from France a Francian.

    As far as I've learned, the general rule of thumb is to call Americans "gringos" or "American(o/a)s."

    Estadounidense? That's unpossible.

    By Blogger Shafa, at 12/10/2005 2:05 PM  

  • Hi!
    The usual terms in spanish are "estadounidense" or "norteamericano" (North American).

    "Gringo" is also used, but it is slang.

    Just "American" is confusing for spanish speakers, BECAUSE it can mean anyone that lives in America (North America + Central America + South America), and if you see, it is not just nonsense.

    I have said once to an indian friend "I come from Central America", and he misunderstood and thought that I came from...the center of USA!!

    The confusion can be bigger, I'm studying now in Germany, and they divide America in 2 parts: Amerika (USA) and South Amerika (Latin america).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/18/2005 4:30 PM  

  • !!Soy número cuatro miles!!!

    WHOO-HOO!

    By Blogger Merujo, at 12/30/2005 1:51 PM  

  • planning to post something new anytime soon?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/09/2006 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home