The Patterson Film

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Maybe they were out being cleaned

Along with my trip to the National Building Museum this past Sunday, I also went to the National Gallery of Art. Feeling slightly parched, I went to the West Gallery café to get something to drink.

The phone lines for the cash registers were a bit on the hinky side Sunday afternoon (which, I found out, was happening throughout the Smithsonian's system, too), so it took a little while to get everyone's purchases rung up. A middle-aged East Coast woman, who should know better but more than likely doesn't, decided that five minutes were simply too long to wait behind all of these little people in front of her. She pushed her way up to the front and demanded that she be helped before all of us who had been waiting for the past 10 minutes. I glared at her and muttered a bit under my breath about "some people should be able to contain themselves better...misplaced sense of entitlement..." While her pushiness was bad enough, the NGA cafeteria staff then went ahead and waited on her right in front of us! These were cashiers with no balls whatsoever, even if you ignore the fact that they were women.

I really enjoy the National Gallery of Art (especially the Recent Print Acquisitions), but someone in the cafeteria really needs to grow a pair already.

1 Comments:

  • That's so obnoxious. She's lucky it was you there, with your Nebraskan politeness. I would have shamed her into the back of the line by channeling my inner Jersey Girl.

    She's a clone, you know. You encounter Entitled Self-Important East Coast Woman all over DC...

    By Blogger Merujo, at 3/08/2005 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home